How to make pureed peas for babies
It just so happens that one of Itty Bitty’s favorite things to eat are peas mixed with carrots. They are in season for an extremely short amount of time here in RI – June & July, and October. As fantastic as fresh peas are, don’t feel guilty for using frozen peas for your baby food.
- If you are purchasing fresh peas – know that their sweetness dwindles over time. Find out when they were harvested, or ask if you can try a pod first. They are best when eaten just a few hours after being picked.
- Peas are not one of the dirty dozen – so you don’t have to worry as much about buying organic.
- However, organic and conventionally grown peas are usually comparable in price.
- Honestly, I just purchase organic frozen sweet peas. I don’t have time to fuss with taking peas out of pods!
- Buy the frozen kind, and keep them in your fridge until you need them. Bada-bing-bada-boom
Make Baby Food
- If you are using peas in pods, take the peas out and then wash them
- If you are using frozen peas, they will not need to be washed
- Steam peas for 3-5 minutes, drain, and save pea water for puree
- Let hot peas cool a bit, and then puree in a blender. Use pea water to help with consistency.
- Some older babies will like this to be a bit chunkier – so you can even use a potato masher rather than a blender.
You can serve peas alone, or mix it in with sweet potatoes, carrots, rice, and much more!
Save Leftovers: You can refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days, or free your pea puree for up to three months. Thaw frozen carrot puree overnight in your refrigerator.
Hi Mary, my son will be 6 months in almost 7 days… EEP!! Time flies, this is a great idea to use: organic frozen peas.
Yep I like them easy and quick!
thank you for the tips, I was thinking about making my baby some pureed peas soon!
I would loved to try this but all my kids are big now, but i will share your tips with others
Great tips! Great for sharing with my girls!
Awesome!!! I loved making Addie's food… best thing about peas- kids love them frozen… they're one of our go-to snacks here!
Great info!!! I wish I had been smart enough to make my own baby food!
With any luck , right after reading this content you can be influenced and also excited to pull out ones blender or even meals processor chip as well as blend healthful, organic meals for your child. more information